Posture in performance

Homepage Forums Alexander Technique Posture in performance

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Laura Klein 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

JJ
    Participant

When I ‘Posture in Performance’, I mean how the performer uses their body when performing.

Personally it really puts me off when I see grand theatrical movements which have no relevance to the music. Also, some performers will scrunch their whole body up, giving the tortured artist look, before they even start playing. This can look intriguing, but surely it’s going to make real self expression difficult. Not to mention the potential damage to the body over time.

Any thoughts?

Ryan P
    Participant

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with self expression through the body. Express through making sound, and express through moving your body. Is one really exclusive of the other?

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

I think it depends on whether the performer is moving in a conscious way, or whether they’re the slave of unconscious habitual movements.

JJ, that ‘tortured artist’ look, which I saw demonstrated fantastically by a jazz pianist recently could well be doing damage to the body over time. His expression was effective, and real, but I think he was going the long way round to achieve it. He was compressing his spine and distorting his body throughout the performance. Some artists can get away with this without pain and damage to the spine, but others pay a hefty price.

Ryan, I also see your point. Perhaps demonstrated with your avatar? :-) As long as you’re working within the confines of what the body is naturally capable of doing, which is quite a lot! And as long as you come back to a neutral place while you still can.

Laura Klein
    Participant

If we can find a way to use movement to enhance performance, that’s great, but not at the cost of our well-being. Some musicians are quite still and poised when they play. Others move around a lot, which can be very exciting to the audience. I think it’s not IF you’re moving, but HOW you’re moving.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.