performance anxiety

Homepage Forums Performance anxiety performance anxiety

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Daren Banarsë Daren Banarsë 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jezabelle
    Participant

This looks like a great place to share some things I have experienced. I worked as a professional singer for 5 years after finishing drama school and had to stop as my performance anxiety got the better of me. The last professional gig I did was 4 years ago when I froze on stage in front of thousands of people, unable to sing and had to walk off stage leaving a 3 piece band, one man down. I have done one or two very intimate gigs in the last 4 years, very informal with small drunken audiences which I can just about bear.

I have just started meditation and am interested to see what impact this might have on the next gig I am due to perform at in November. I will have a read of some the articles on here, they look great!

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

Hi Jezabelle

Welcome to Mindful Musician!

Thanks for your post. Really sorry to hear about your performance anxiety. Sounds like its had a big effect on your career. Meditation is a great way to go – have you read Jennifer’s article? It has a very meditative approach, although you don’t have to meditate to follow it!

What sort of meditation are you doing?

Jezabelle
    Participant

Hi Daren,

Thanks for the reccommendation! I will have a read. I’m doing beginner’s mindfulness meditation as well as loving kindness. I’ve only done a few sessions and it seems to be getting easier to at least sit there and breathe. Will let you know how I go when I have my first rehearsal.

; )

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

They’re two great meditations. The mindfulness meditation should really help with singing on many levels, and the loving kindness compliments it very well

Jezabelle
    Participant

Hello Daren,

I thought I’d give you a little update on the mediation vs performance anxiety. I had a rehearsal for a gig I am doing in November. Before I started mediation, I would have this apprehension even prior to a rehearsal, this would fade after the initial warm up stage of the rehearsal and then I would ok. This time, it seemed I was more calm form the beginning, there was a sense of being more present. It seems to be related to the mediation as I haven’t changed much else in my day to day life.

I might throw myself in to an intensive course!

JEz x

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

Glad to hear it went well Jezabelle. So it looks like meditation was good for you :-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.