music psych

Homepage Forums Introduce yourself music psych

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Daren Banarsë Daren Banarsë 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ryan P
    Participant

How about a topic for music psychology?

I’m a flute player/physical performer. Norwich based, but also in London a lot

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

Hi Ryan

Welcome to the forum!

That’s a good idea, I’ve created a new forum called psychology.

What sort of music do you play? And what brings you to Mindful Musician?

Ryan P
    Participant

Thank you.

I’m interested in a lot of music styles. I make music for theatre performances, and that means performing in whatever style is needed. I’d say childrens theatre is my speciality. Sometimes I have to perform on stage as well. There’s no boundaries for me between playing an instrument and performing with my body.

I didn’t learn music officially, but I did do dance training. Dancing is about connecting with the body, initiating movement from the inside. Learning to express honestly and directly. I see it as a spiritual path.

I’m not that technical on the flute, or on the other instruments I play (mainly percussion). But I’m working on a new solo project, composing for the first time. I’m a physical person. I’m interested in ways I can use body techniques, like some on this site, to inform my music making.

I’m also fascinated by dreams. I’d say they’re quite an influence on me artistically. And psychology.

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

Very interesting to hear about your background and approach Ryan. I’ve worked as a composer for many years, and know what it’s like to have to write in many styles, especially when it comes to making a living!

I like the way that you don’t see a distinction between dancing and music making. I see that it is all expression through the body. Great that you’re developing both, and letting one inform the other.

Dreams are another fascinating topic. I recently dreamt that I was giving someone a music lesson. I’ll post it on the relevant forum!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.