Chopin

Homepage Forums Psychology Chopin

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jezabelle 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

I had a dream the other night. I was teaching someone how to play with expression. I looked through a book and found Chopin’s Prelude No.4 in E minor. I knew in the dream that he was a more proficient pianist than me, and I hoped that this wouldn’t get in the way of the teaching.

I used to play this piece years ago, when I was a student. I’ve started having a look at it again!

Ryan P
    Participant

You know that different people in your dreams represent aspects of yourself?

Jezabelle
    Participant

Funny you should mention that, Since learning about this a few weeks ago, I keep trying to figure out what these different characters/different aspects of me are trying to tell me. I often dream about very critical teachers from my past, yet it’s my own internalised critical teacher that I need to confront.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 12 months ago by  Jezabelle.
    Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

Yes Ryan, that’s how I understand it too. And it completely makes sense. I’m really interested in expression at the moment. What it means to express, to be expressive. Can you add expression, or is it something that’s naturally there. Is it a matter of learning how to not interfere, and thereby allow the expression? I think so.

And then I wonder about the implications of expression in my life outside music. Am I allowing myself to express in my everyday life?

I the dream I chose a piece for piano, with a free, singing melody line, and simple repetitive chordal accompaniment. It’s a great piece for exploring expression, you can play it in so many ways. I play it differently each time

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

Jezabelle, that’s very interesting that you’re dreaming of critical teachers. Let us know when you get your next one!

Ryan P
    Participant

Daren, maybe your dream is telling you not to let the search for technical proficiency get in the way of expression?

Jezabelle
    Participant

it’s hard that, not getting bogged down with technique. I found that when I was learning a melodically complex song, from my polyphonic east European repertoire, sometimes, it would take months to get all the details right…just before performance, I would have to spend a while literally letting go or discarding the technique and actually expressing or acting the story. The technique is there, it is embodied!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.