Avoiding tension

Homepage Forums Technique Avoiding tension

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan P 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ryan P
    Participant

Okay Guys, another quote from the Strad:

“Every action must occur in isolation without anything else in the surrounding areas reacting. For example, when you are pressing the bow into the string, do not use a single muscle in your bow arm that is not required to push the wood down towards the hair and to push the hair into the string”

http://www.thestrad.com/cpt-latests/10-ways-to-avoid-tension-in-your-playing/

If you do this to everything you play, where’s the spontaneity?

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

This is the way I practice. I find it develops a freedom in my playing, and this freedom gives me all the spontaneity I need. I’m sure it’s possible for some to play well without going through all this, but not me…

JJ
    Participant

I’ve spotted a big mistake:

T’ai chi can be more closely aligned with cello performance than the Alexander Technique because it relies on movement, whereas Alexander Technique tends to have a stationary interpretation.

Nonsense, the Alexander Technique is all about movement. Where did that come from??

Evgeni
    Participant

I would like to learn Tai Chi because it’s so old that I think it has survived for good reasons. I read the news on this site, and it makes me want to try it. I’m looking for a very good teacher.

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

You’re absolutely right JJ!

Evgeni, welcome to the forums! Why not start a topic in the Tai Chi forum?

Ryan P
    Participant

It’s just not the way that I’m used to playing. When I practice, I like to start with the overall form. I might play something at nearly full speed, and let any mistakes happen. I find if I keep doing it, things start falling into place. I have an idea of what I want it to sound like in my mind, and trust that it will get there. And it normally does.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.